HomeAbout UsOur FamilyPhoto GalleryRainbow BridgeGift ShopContact Us

GuestbookDonateSponsorshipFAQStaffCurrent NewsletterNewsletter Archive

Newsletter Archive
December 2011 Newsletter 
From us to you...
Another year has slipped by and Cedarhill has been in existence since 1987. Good grief where has the time gone? As I count the years, I realize that our cats are getting older and we are beginning to lose them due to age.
Gunther 1989 - 2011
It is with great sadness that I tell you all of Gunther's passing on October 19, 2011. He was a magnificent lion and he will be greatly missed by everyone here at the sanctuary. Even the four remaining lions quit roaring for about a week. Gunther was born in Texas in 1989 and was passed around several times before he was six months old. He was with a truck driver for a while until he was once again passed on to the truck driver’s grandson. This began Gunther’s life as a roadside attraction. Gunther lived in an old milk truck with a chicken wire fence to contain him. The first time I saw him, I was on the way to Memphis to pick up a cougar from the airport. When I saw the sign, “Pay a quarter hear him roar,” I knew I had to stop on the way back. After talking to them, they weren’t about to lose their cash cow.

After a series of downfalls, the young man caring for Gunther attempted to take his own life, but he didn’t succeed. He was left a quadriplegic that would never speak again. His grandfather decided Gunther should live at Cedarhill and Gunther was moved for the last time. Gunther was about 1 ½ years old when he came to live here. He eventually loved his life here, especially when he was placed in an enclosure with two female lions on one side of him and one female lion on the other side. This picture of Gunther shows what a “proud” attitude he had and how he looked down at his servants who cared for him everyday. Good-bye old friend, we will miss you. 
Oscar the plumber had an accomplice this time…
When you have a tiger like Oscar, there is never a dull moment, EVER. We are used to Oscar opening the release valve on his pool the same day we’ve cleaned it, letting out 14,000 gallons of water. Well this must have gotten boring. The other day as I was coming to work and as I walked by Oscar and Ladies enclosure, I saw a beautiful fountain of water coming down from the creek bed. As nice as it looked, it wasn’t supposed to be there. Smarty pants Oscar and his mischievous sister Lady had busted the end of the pipe with a rock. They were both so proud to show off what they had done, you could only laugh and congratulate them on a job well done.
The great puppy rescue…
In early September, we got a call about five puppies that were born in a bog pit. Wendy, Angie and I set off to rescue those poor puppies and take them to the local shelter where they would have a chance to have a good home. They had gotten into a storage shed we had to crawl through to get them out. Angie immediately fell in love with one and decided to take him home. We never did catch the Mother. Once Kay saw Angie’s puppies cute little face, she told us to go back to the shelter and bring those babies home. Cedarhill staff members have adopted all of the puppies.
B.B. is a 1½-year-old English bulldog mix with more personality and energy than his little body can contain. He came to us from the Amory Animal Shelter as unadoptable. He was born with a cherry eye, had had a broken jaw that was never tended to and he was yet to be neutered. We have had him neutered and fixed his cherry eye. The vet says that his jaw will never fully open, but that he is in no pain from it and doesn’t hinder his eating or drinking.
Squirrel, deer and raccoon release…
We finally got all our wild life creatures raised and released. It was a joy I don’t think we will ever forget or rush into again.
On October 31, our beloved Polo lost his battle with squamous cell carcinoma. Earlier this year I took Polo to LSU vet school to have strontium radiation treatments done in an effort to slow down the rapid progression. We were aware that this was no cure but hoped we had bought him a few years. About a month ago, Polo’s cancer came back and quickly spread. We knew it was time to say good-by. Polo never showed any signs of pain nor did he ever let cancer slow him down.
The tunnel for the fiv/felv cats…
Michelle came up with the idea of building a tunnel from the fiv/felv compound into the room that the ferals used to use. The ferals evidently taught the raccoons and possums how to come in the building at night, so we had to stop them. So, I designed a tunnel and Barbara’s son built it. The cats love it. They chase each other up and down the tunnel and lay out in the sun to nap. The tunnel connects their old compound and house, so they still have their old house and outside yard.
Garfield and Scarlett…
Two more Bengals which brings our total to 7 Bengals. Garfield is a young male Bengal with only the use of one eye. Scarlett, Garfield’s sister is a very talkative little girl who doesn’t think she belongs in a house full of cats.
Scrappy update…
In our last newsletter, we introduced our new kitten Scrappy with the disabled rear legs. We are pleased to report that he is doing great. He has trouble when he tries to go too fast, but can walk pretty good now. He even runs up and down the stairs with ease.
Our Christmas Wish List…
Catnip and catnip toys, rawhide chewies, spools for large cats, dry cat treats w/o red dye, scratch pads, dog bones, dog toys.
Bleach, cleaning supplies, paper towels, garbage bags, sheets, towels, pillow cases (used is fine) laundry soap. 
Until next time...
This has been the roughest year financially that we have ever been through. I wonder some days if we are going to be able to hang on. Please try to remember the animals at Christmas…we need you more than ever. 
In Memoriam

Mans Inhumanity to Man is Only Surpassed by His Cruelty to Animals.
For the animals,

Kay and Michelle

October 2011 Newsletter
From us to you...
When I wrote the last newsletter, I didn’t see how it could get any hotter…well I can see now. We had ten days of temperature over 100 degrees. Oscar’s skin was wrinkled; he spent so much time in his pool. We are having our first break in the weather and the animals are really enjoying it. The daytime temperature dropped to the 80’s and the nighttime temperature to the 70’s. It’s extreme temperature drops that cause runny noses and colds. Guess we can’t have it all.

It is with great sadness that I must tell you about Pride, one of our Belgian mares, who passed on over to the Rainbow Bridge, yesterday morning, September 9. Barbara woke me with a phone call at 7:00 am and told me that Pride had died in her stall. I unhooked from dialysis and got up to the barn as fast as I could. Apparently she had a twisted colon and it had ruptured during the night. The whole staff was at the barn by now. Some of us stood in shock and others tried to comfort Star.
Star and Pride were PMU (urine used to make premarin, which is an estrogen supplement) mares and had stood side-by-side in a urine collection barn for ten years before we rescued them…they had never been separated. They wore urine collection bags and were never allowed outside. It is so sad to hear Star up in the horse pasture crying for Pride. I am in the process of rescuing another PMU mare from Canada to keep Star company.
Employee of the month...
Our employee of the month is Wendy Poole. Wendy is our main exotic caretaker. She used to take care of the Senior cathouse and only occasionally fed the exotics. She is now the sole caretaker of the exotics and what a great job she does. The exotics love her and not only look for ward to seeing her, but she makes feeding time a fun time. She comes in at 5:30 am to prepare their food and is in the gator at daylight delivering their food. Gunther, 22 years old, is losing weight and is losing his appetite. Wendy prepares special meals for him with deer meat and liver. Wendy cares about each individual exotic and each individual cat is special to her.

Wendy also has taken care of three baby squirrels and has bottle-fed them from birth. It won’t be long before she releases them. She also bottle-fed the baby deer, carrying it back and forth to work to keep up it’s feeding schedule. Now, that was a job. She finally arranged for it to be placed in a small group of young deer in Northern Mississippi. They will be fed together in a pen, and will then be released on controlled access land that does not allow hunting. Wendy also adopted Sally, the stray beagle that was brought to our front gate. Three young boys were carrying her. When the staff went to the front gate they asked, “Is this your dog?” She was so thin and emaciated; she needed love and plenty of food. Wendy provided both.endy also has taken care of three baby squirrels and has bottle-fed them from birth. It won’t be long before she releases them. She also bottle-fed the baby deer, carrying it back and forth to work to keep up it’s feeding schedule. Now, that was a job. She finally arranged for it to be placed in a small group of young deer in Northern Mississippi. They will be fed together in a pen, and will then be released on controlled access land that does not allow hunting. Wendy also adopted Sally, the stray beagle that was brought to our front gate. Three young boys were carrying her. When the staff went to the front gate they asked, “Is this your dog?” She was so thin and emaciated; she needed love and plenty of food. Wendy provided both.
I received an email about a young kitten who had been rescued from a construction site and taken to the veterinarian….he had no use of his back legs. I guess he was about six weeks old. After three weeks at the vet’s office, he still couldn’t walk and since the woman had already paid for three weeks board, she had to find him a home. This wonderful woman is allergic to cats and is undergoing chemo but still she rescued Scrappy. I said Cedarhill would give him a home and she and her husband brought him the next Saturday. He is one tough little guy. If you stand him up on all four, he can stand there if you hold on to the tip of his tail. Gradually he has begun walking if you hold on to his tail. Hopefully, he will start walking on his own. Roxanne, a small gray cat couldn’t walk either, she has a stilted gate but can run with the best of them.
One of Cedarhill’s local donors emailed me one morning and asked if she could adopt a cat for a companion to her cat. I replied with my usual answer, “Go to the shelter and adopt a cat. Save a life. My cats have a home.” Well, she adopted Dottie and took her the next morning to get her shots and have her tested for FELV/FIV. Dottie tested positive for FELV. Clay was devastated, so she called me and asked me what to do. Meanwhile Biscuit, a beautiful black cat had wandered up and needed a home. She took Biscuit and we took Dottie. We kept Dottie in isolation and then had her tested again. The staff was nervous all day waiting for Dottie’s test results…positive again. Dottie is a rambunctious black and white cat. You pick her up and she puts both arms around your neck and hugs you. So, we have moved Dottie in with the rest of the FELVs and she loves the outdoors.
New super-size boomer balls...
Clay, one of our donors realized that the tigers were without boomer balls. Oscar manages to tear them in a matter of months. They are very expensive and we have enough trouble keeping food on the table…much less buying toys. Clay took it upon herself to buy three of the boomer balls and she made some tigers very, very happy. Thank you Aunt Clay.
Two beagles come to Cedarhill...
Toby is a 5-year-old beagle mix. When he was one, his first owners could no longer keep him, so they gave him to a family member. He kept getting out of his pen, so they chained him. They also put a shock collar to keep him from barking. Toby lived like this for four years until owner and our dog caretaker, Leah, came to an agreement and she was able to bring him to Cedarhill. Toby is in love with Rex and they play until they are both exhausted every morning. Snoopy is a six-year-old beagle mix that was being neglected by his owners. He was kept in a very, very small pen with weeds so tall he couldn’t see out. His shoulder had been broken and was never treated, so he limps. Now, he runs like the wind and jumps and gives kisses. He is currently living with Hannah, the black Labrador.

I have a new secretary...
Rebecca has left us for health reasons, and Nancy has been hired to take her place. Nancy has 25 years as a corporate secretary and has taken to this job like a duck to water. Welcome Nancy.
In Memoriam
 Sue Sasha…………..Cindy
 Joy Joy…………..Thelma
 Cedarhill only lost one cat Homerous……….One of the Greek Cats 
God’s Foal (in memory of Pride)

I’ll lend you for a little while
 My Grandest foal, He said.
 For you to love, while she’s alive
 And mourn for when she’s dead.
 It may be one or twenty years,
 Or days or months, you see
 But, will you, till I take her back,
 Take care of her for me.

 She’ll bring her charms to gladden you,
 And should her stay be brief,
 You’ll have treasured memories
 To bring solace in your grief.

 I cannot promise she will stay.
 Since all from earth return.
 But, there are lessons taught on earth
 I want this foal to learn.

 I’ve looked the wide world over
 In my search for teachers true,
 And from the throngs that crowd life’s lane
 With truth I have selected you.

 Now will you give her your total love,
 Nor think the labor vain,
 Nor hate Me when I come
 To take her back again.


Until next time...
I want to thank each and everyone of you for helping us get through the tough times. It is hard to believe, but we have been in existence since 1987 when we rescued our first cougar, Zack….24 years. Some of you have been on this journey with me the whole time and I sure couldn’t have done it without you. Please continue to support our work with the animals.
For the animals,
Kay and Michelle
August 2011 Newsletter
From us to you...
The heat is sweltering , the tornadoes have passed on, only to be replaced by the extreme heat. Oscar, the tiger, lives in his swimming pool. The girls cleaned it out the other day and Oscar lay in the bottom with two inches of water splashing and waiting for it to fill. Tonka and Tonya prefer to spend their day in their house.Today the temperature is 100 degrees and the heat index 108. Thank goodness the domestic cats all have air conditioning.

Hard at work...
Three special employees, Michael, Jonathan and Debbie, our grounds keepers, deserve a special recognition. They work to keep our facility beautiful which means mowing and weed eating in the hot sun all day, scooping horse pastures and performing all maintenance. This week they also had to unload 8,000 lbs. of beef. Debbie also assists in cleaning the cathouses. One can walk into our facility at anytime, day or night, and be amazed by the cleanliness of the sanctuary. They each carry a gallon jug of water and electrolytes to keep them from dehydrating. Debbie keeps a jug of sweet tea on hand. Keep up the great work.....we appreciate you.
Employee of the month...
Our employee of the month is Angie Carver. Angie is our big house cat caretaker. She has been with us for about a year now and we couldn't ask for better. She has 147 cats in her care. With the weather being so hot, they all stay inside in the air conditioning and that makes for litter boxes to scoop. They stand in line to use the litter boxes. Heaven forbid that they should go out in the heat. Angie is filled with love and patience and that is what it takes to manage so many cats.
Junior, the baby raccoon...
On Fathers Day, Michelle got a call from a friend who had found a baby raccoon in her front yard. It's mother had been hit by a car. He wasn't eating and she was afraid that he just wasn't going to make it. He was less that two weeks old¡he didn't even have his eyes open yet. Michelle to the rescue! She took that little raccoon and literally became his mother. She bottle-feeds him goat's milk every two hours around the clock. He is convinced that Michelle is his Mama as she is the first thing he saw when he opened is eyes. He travels back and forth to work with her everyday. 
Sassy, the baby deer...
Late in June, Michelle's parents' Great Pyrenees brought home a baby deer in his mouth. It was just a few days old and there was no sign of the mother. Not knowing where the mother was and how long it had been seen it had eaten, we had no choice but to take this baby and do the best we could do with it. Sassy, as she was named, went home with Wendy, our senior house/exotic caretaker. She began to thrive in the care of Wendy and her three girls. The only problem is now she thinks Dakota, Wendy's boxer is her mother. We will release her when she is old enough on non-hunting property.
The vet-techs from MSU...
Sunday, July 10, we hosted a bar-b-q so say thank you to the vet techs from MSU. They volunteered their time and talents to help with our fiv/felv testing. We had an fiv/felv scare in the senior house and we had to test 45 cats. They drew blood and ran tests on all of the cats in the senior house. Our way to repay them was to have a bar-b-q party and to give personalized tours. Of course we chose the hottest day of the year to have this party, so we squeezed everyone into the guesthouse. All of the employees brought their spouses, so that made for about twenty-two in the guesthouse. Cedarhill provided the bar-bq and baked beans. Everyone brought desserts. Thank you Dr. Latham and vet techs from MSU.
Rebecca's view of the feeding process...
Rebecca is the assistant administrator and she also runs the sponsorship program. 
As an employee of Cedarhill I thought I knew a lot about the daily activities of the sanctuary and staff. What I didn't know was that I didn't know anything. This realization came a few days ago as I watched the staff prepare each exotic animals meal. They divide beef, chicken and vitamin supplements into very large pans. They worked quickly and efficiently. After the preparation, .the feeding begins. Bobcats and cougars were fed first, then the lions, and the tigers last. Each cat has a separate feeding enclosure. This is done for safety. As I watched the work that the staff put into Cedarhill I realized they work very hard to make sure that the animals are cared for medically, have healthy food, water and clean homes to live in. Above all, the staff has love and respect for all of the animals

In memorium...
Mai Tai... Sher


Bailey, Snuggles

And Princess....Darcy

Peachey, Atticus, Rameses

And Blacky...Mrs. Paul Russell

Strider & Legolas...Tara



In 1993, I was on CNN. Shortly after that appearance, I received a call from a young woman from Athens, Greece. She asked me if I would take her street cats as she was moving. I said yes, and didn't think anymore about it. Several months later, 17 cats with Greek passports and Greek food came to live at Cedarhill. That was the beginning of the Greek era. We lost several Greek cats this month and we only have three left.
Rainbow Bridge
Sylvio - 1993-2011 (Greek)

Leonardo- C 1993-2011 (Greek)

Whoopi - 1993-2011

Sasha - 1993- 2011


Darla - 1995-2011

Jimmy - 1995-2011

Murphy - 1995-2011

                                                         Beyond the Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had all the times we played, I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade. I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free, where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side were meadows rich and beautiful. Running through the meadows as far as the eye could see were animals of every sort as healthy as can be! My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed as new and I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you that I'm alright. Twas the glow of many candles shining bright and strong and bold and I knew that is held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be, we are still connected by a cord no eye can see. So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart if you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

Until next time...
Through the heat we manage to survive and take care of the animals. Without your help we would surely fail. Please help us. Our bills far out weigh our revenue. It is only with your donations that keep us hanging on. Barbara has made is successfully through three chemo treatments and has nine more to go. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

For the animals,

Kay & Michelle

June 2011 Newsletter
From us to you…
So much has happened since the last newsletter that I’m not sure where to begin. Barbara, our head caretaker and my right hand, was operated on for cancer. The tumor was removed and she has to undergo six months of chemo. It was a tense few days, while we waited on the results. The doctors say she is cancer free, but want to do the Chemo as a precaution.

 The weather, as I’m sure all of you have heard, has been devastating. In late April and early May, 150 tornado cells, 300 miles wide cut a path through Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. We managed to escape damage, while Tuscaloosa and Smithville took the brunt of the damage. We have had over 9 inches accumulated rain making it almost impossible to feed the big cats. May has been nicer to us and things have settled down.

The littlest tornado victim…
Wendy, the senior house caretaker has an aunt who lives in Smithville, so of course, she went over there after the tornadoes to check on her. Her family was fine, but she found a kitten about two weeks old. Her mother and two other kittens had been taken in the tornado. She wrapped her up in a towel and took her home with her and began feeding her every two hours. Ultimately, Becca, another feline caretaker, took over the task of her two-hour feedings. Becca works weekends and was able to give her the needed care. We named her Nader, a shorted version of tornader. A couple at Columbus Air Force base adopted Nader.
Kimba, our beloved 17 yr. old tiger succumbed to cancer, Monday, May 11, 2011. We all loved Kimba. He was one of the sweetest most lovable tigers that I've ever known. I have known him since he was 4 months old when a vet rescued him at 2:00 am, from a back yard in West Memphis. A group of good ole boys was going to shoot him because he was endangering the neighborhood. He was so small that he crawled through the feeding door and the large gate to the feeding area and was out romping with the dogs on the day he arrived. That was just the beginning of his antics as the years went by. When he was about 1 year old, he was in his swimming pool and he picked up a bowling ball and slung it as far as he could throw it, breaking off one of his canine teeth. I called him "Big E" from that day on, because he curled up his lip where his tooth used to be. Kimba weighed about 550 lbs at his best and he had the biggest feet of all the tigers. You left a big hole in my heart Kimba and I just don't know if the sadness will ever go away.
In early April, Wendy said there was a minature goat wandering her neighborhood eating everyones flowers, espically their roses. The neighbors were threating to get rid of it, so Wendy brought it to Cedarhill and we put her in the domestic cat pen. It wasn’t long before Rose could get in every cat door. She took up residence in any house she chose.  
I’m sorry to say, but she chose the houses with human beds and began to use the beds as her bathroom. The first time I saw her napping in the junior house, I knew she had to go. Wendy placed her with a family who had a young child who took to Rose like a duck to water.
On March 30, we lost Abby a 10 year old German Shepherd that had been plagued with many health problems. Due to bad breeding, Abby was born with an enzyme deficient pancreas and a curved spine which developed into hip displaysia. None of this ever slowed her down. She tried every day to run and jump and of course, keep Jimmy, her playmate, in his place. She was a great dog.
Rodney, the blind dog…..
In April, we recived a call about a special needs dog, that was in desparate need of a home. Rodney is a 7 year old border collie mix that had recently gone blind from exposure to pool chemicals. Like most disabled animals, it took him no time at all to adjust to his new surroundings. However, getting him acquainted to his new roommate took a little time and a lot of “play dates.”
Rex, the Great Pyrenees….
In our last newsletter, we introduced you to Rex, a beautiful Great Pyrenees. Unfortunately, he tested positive for heartworms. While undergoing treatment, poor Rex had to live in a stall in the barn. We are now happy to report that he is heartworm free and back to his yard with his new playmate Rodney.
Louise, one of our three-legged wonders….
Thelma and Louise came to us as kittens, both minus a back leg. They are 12 years old and never really had any health problems. The umbilical cord had been wrapped around their back legs when they were born, causing both of them to lose a hind leg. The people didn’t want three legged cats and told the vet to put them to sleep…no way! They have lived at Cedarhill ever since. A couple of weeks ago, Louise couldn’t use her one back leg. We took her to Mississippi State and there was nothing to be done for her. We brought her home and she is still as active as ever; she just can’t use her back leg.
Snakes, snakes and more snakes…
If there is an animal that I have no tolerance for, it is a snake. We had to rebuild the bridge that was built over the pond and next to one of the tiger compounds. Richard, Barbara’s son, shot 7 snakes one day and has killed a total of 11. They were water moccasins and very deadly.
Polo had skin cancer…
Polo is a 9-year-old white cat that had been recently diagnosed with sqaumous cell carcinoma on his ears and nose, which is very common in white cats. This form of cancer is caused by over exposure to the sun, much like skin cancer in people. The treatment for this is strodium radiation. Unfortunately, no one in our surrounding area practices this. The closes vet we could find was at LSU vet school. It has now been 3 weeks since his treatment and Polo is doing wonderful. Thank you to Dr. Tracy Geiger at the LSU vet school.
In memoriam…
Yum Yum –Nichole
Roscoe- Gloria
Little Bit- Jimmy and Tammy
Mocha- Angie
Nancy – Dawn & David
Friskie, Lynx, Squeaker, Sporty and Sparky – Janine
Over the Rainbow Bridge…
We had so many loses since the last newsletter.
Vamp-2000 – 2011
Grey 2003-2011
Drummer 1996 – 2011
Rain 2001-2011
Goober 2001-2011
Deni 2001-2011
To Those I Love

If I should ever leave you whom I love
To go along the Silent Way.

Grieve not,
Nor speak of me with tears,
But laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you there.

Please do not let the thought of me be sad…
For I am loving you just as I always have…
You were so good to me.

There are so many things I wanted to do.
So many things to say to you…
Remember that I did not fear…
It was just leaving you that was to hard to face…
We cannot see beyond…
But this I know,
I love you so…
‘twas heaven here with you.

  Isla Paschal Richardson

Until next time….
This was a very hard newsletter for me to write. Sometimes, the losses are more that I can bear. Benny, my little Yorkie/Chinese crested cross, is always beside me cheering me on. We need your support more than ever and depend on each of you to keep believing in us. Please, we can’t do this without you.

For the animals,

Kay & Michelle
April 2011 Newsletter
From us to you….
Michelle is going to be co-writing the newsletters with me. She is head caretaker and someday will be following in my footsteps. She has been working with me for three years and has taken on a lot of my responsibilities. I by no means, am stepping down; I’m just taking life a little easier. I figure that I will use my brain more than my brawn; at age 67, I will last a lot longer. I hope you learn to enjoy her as I do. 
Willa is in love…. 
You know when Willa first came here I was hoping she would take up with Arthur…. she chose someone, but it was Amos. They have moved into one of the houses the boy scouts built…it has a little front porch on it. In the evenings you can see Little Willa and Amos lying there together with just only their heads visible. Barbara says that if they get too hot in there, they carefully take the hay out and stack it on the porch. When it cools off they carry it back in by the mouthfuls. Amos must weigh about 340 lbs while Willa weighs about 100 lbs. You gotta love these pigs. 
Tritrichomonas Foetus…..
  By Michelle Cranford
Before entering our facility a newcomer must be vaccinated, spayed/neutered and tested for infectious diseases to protect and ensure the safety and health of our existing family and that of our new rescues.

Wouldn’t you know a new parasite has found its way through in Tritrichomonas foetus. It is a well-known venereal disease in cattle, now becoming more popular as an intestinal parasite in felines. Testing for this new parasite is quite expensive, so as always we have set out to become Tritric experts. We have invested in a top of the line microscope, testing supplies and isolation cages. The treatment is daily medication and complete isolation for at least one month.

To date, we have successfully treated five cats and have two more undergoing treatment. We currently have five suspects awaiting diagnoses, which can take up to twelve days. The most frustrating aspect of this is knowing that we have a carrier who is spreading this disease, but never showing the clinical signs.

February brought a new cat…..
 By Michele 
Teah, a beautiful one-year-old orange kitten showed up at Katelyn’s house, she is an employee who lives just outside the sanctuary gates. The vet was already closed for the weekend, so Katelyn held her until Monday. So come Monday morning, we named the kitten Teah; loaded her up and took her to the vet for vaccinations first thing Monday morning. We scheduled her for a spay for Wednesday morning. This proved to be too much for Teah…. she climbed the fence and apparently went back home.
Rainbow Bridge

Coty – 14 years old from Collierville, TN died of a heart attack.

Boots – 19 years old. Came to live with us at 6 months of age when the family she lived with drowned her newborn kittens.

Annie – 15 years old. One day when she was about a year old, she walked from the road and across the pasture and said, “This is where I want to live.” She died of liver failure.

Lucy -10 year old Bengal. She was the last survivor of the 2007 fire. She died of cancer. Her favorite thing to do was curl up in someone’s jacket to sleep.

Gracie- 19 years old and one of the two survivors of the fire in 2007. She had lived at Cedarhill since she was a very small kitten. She died of a hematoma. Gracie came to us as a newborn kitten whose eyes hadn’t opened yet….she had to be bottle fed. She had recently developed arthritis, but that didn’t keep that survivor from her favorite activity. Every morning before breakfast she would try to catch that pesky tail that followed her everywhere. Goodbye Mrs. Gracie, we will miss you.

We would like to say a final farewell and we love you to the cats we lost this month. You may be gone from our lives, but you will never be forgotten in our hearts. 

Little Joe crossed on over to the Rainbow Bridge ….
Remember Little Joe and Taz came to us last November when Wild Animal Orphanage was closed for lack of funding. We knew we were losing Little Joe several days before he passed. Actually he never fully recovered from being sedated for the move. Finally he quit eating and would not come out of his house. Taz tried to keep him warm by sitting on him….he refused to leave his side. I believe Little Joe had cancer when he came here and that is what took his life. I only hope that Taz will want to continue to go on without Little Joe.


One of our donors suggested we do a memorial page for donors’ pets that have passed on. A memorial tribute will be published in our newsletter twice a year for all pets that we receive information on. It is part of the healing process and it is comforting to see the tribute in print. Send your tributes in and we will set them up for the June newsletter.

Rex comes to live at Cedarhill

Vernon, AL rescue group started receiving calls about several Great Pyrenees puppies being spotted around town and the Caledonia/Steens area. The puppies were eventually caught and all found homes but one. We decided to take the 1 ½ year old Pyrenees. He is a beautiful animal and is the most laid back friendly dog yet. He has heartworms and has to be treated for mange, but his attitude overrides it all. By the way, Aby is able to use the wheels that Norman used.

Sugz, our new bobcat….
I received an email from a young woman in Biloxi. She and her husband were both in the military her husband was in Iraq. Her husband bought Sugz as a young kitten; had her declawed on all four and spayed. She had been raised as a house cat, but as she approached maturity, she started tearing up the house. She told me that both she and her husband had mutually agreed to give up Sugz. I immediately that she would be a great play mate for Tommy. We currently have them side-by-side and they are beginning to talk through the fence. I’m sure that he is courting her, (he also has been neutered). We are going to wait a little bit longer before we open the gate between them….. (continued in the next newsletter) 
What Cats think

Cats do not think that they are little people. They
think that we are big cats. This influences their
behavior in many ways. That’s why when you call
them, they look at you as if they were going to say,
“Are you talking to me?”

Until next time…. 
If you didn’t catch Cedarhill on Animal Planet on February 19th, you can view it on our website: www.cedrhill.org (videos). Please don’t think that because I make it look easy…running a sanctuary is not easy. Please continue to support the animals, we can’t do it without you.

For the love of the animals,

Kay & Michelle

January 2011
From me to you…….
It’s the beginning of a new year and we have so much to look forward to. It’s got to be a better year financially. It’s my third year on dialysis and I feel the best I’ve felt in many years. I can hardly believe that this is our 24th year of Cedarhill Animal Sanctuary being in existence. The Starkville newspaper reran an article first run in 1988 about Ross Flanigan and his sanctuary. He was a dentist and was studying to be an exotic dentist. It showed Monk at six months of age. In 1992 his wife left him and he had to get rid of all animals. Cedarhill took Monk, Mandy and their baby Rachel that he had already taken from them. We took Josie the leopard and Joplin the Cockatoo. Josie ended up going to another sanctuary because she hated me and was extremely dangerous for me to be around. Mandy died in 2009 and Monk in 2010. Rachel is still with us as is Joplin. Ross was supposed to be the expert and he lost everything. Perseverance, determination and support from wonderful people like you have kept us going.
Tritrichomonas Foetus…..
Before entering our facility a newcomer must be vaccinated, spayed/neutered and tested for infectious diseases to protect and ensure the safety and health of our existing family and that of our new rescues.

Wouldn’t you know a new parasite has found its way through in Tritrichomonas foetus. It is a well-known venereal disease in cattle, now becoming more popular as an intestinal parasite in felines. Testing for this new parasite is quite expensive, so as always we have set out to become Tritric experts. We have invested in a top of the line microscope, testing supplies and isolation cages. The treatment is daily medication and complete isolation for at least one month.

To date, we have successfully treated five cats and have two more undergoing treatment. We currently have five suspects awaiting diagnoses, which can take up to twelve days. The most frustrating aspect of this is knowing that we have a carrier who is spreading this disease, but never showing the clinical signs.

Taz and Little Joe update...
We gave Taz and Little Joe about ten small boomer balls. The next morning, not one could be seen. They are so afraid that someone will steal their personal toys that they take them inside their house at night. They don’t seem to want to use the houses they sleep in to eat in, so we built them a house underneath their shade house and stuffed it with hay. Little Joe jumped off the house and hurt his leg…he didn’t eat for five days because of the pain. So, we built a 4’ wide ladder that they can use to get up and down from their house with ease. They were given large boomer balls by their godparents, Rich and Pat, for Christmas. They spent days trying to get them into their house. They have to be content with getting them as close as possible to the front door. They can’t get them inside but they can sure get keep an eye on them.

Sponsorship program….
Rebecca, my Assistant Administrator, has begun a program to sponsor the different animals of Cedarhill. Every animal is up for adoption. You will receive a letter from Rebecca during the month of January detailing her program. Your sponsoring will provide food, medical supplies, housing and bedding for the animal of your choice. Sponsoring an animal also means you get a great sense of pride and joy of giving to a wonderful cause.
Stewart the deaf cat arrives at Cedarhill…..
The wonderful rescue ladies from Louisiana whose mission is to rescue cats and then find a home for them came across one that they couldn’t find a home for. They just couldn’t place Stewart, a 6 month old, pure white cat with blue eyes who was deaf. Stewart was terrified when we put him in the senior house and he thought he was going to have to whip everyone. Chester, the blind cat, didn’t know what hit him. He just couldn’t figure out that new cat. The decision then was made to move Stewart to the Junior House. I was out there a couple of days later and there were fifteen to twenty cats, bathing and sleeping together on one of the beds. Stewart jumped up on the bed, crawled in the middle of them and went sound asleep. Home at last!
Winter wonderland….
On Sunday night, the snow and sleet fell. The staff had gone home and I wondered if they would make it in the next morning. The roads were predicted to be frozen and unsurpassable. I thought there was no way Barbara could take care of all of these animals by herself. Well, I just couldn’t believe it; through the snow here came Michelle about 8:30 pm. Michelle drove the 7 miles in 30 minutes from her house to the sanctuary. She spent the night with the senior cats; they loved it. As we predicted, no one else could make it here that morning. Katelyn, our 14-year-old part time helper, who lives down the road, walked up and spent the day helping
The amazing things the animals did in the snow just blew me away. Shera joined Valentino, (who didn’t come out during the last snow). They stood in the door to their houses and looked longingly at their food. Friday, Gunther and Savannah had no problem with that while stuff that the other two thought would kill you.

The tigers loved it. Cinderella, one of the smaller tigers rolled, and rolled until she was just covered with snow. Of course, you might have guessed it, Oscar took the prize. He took the largest boomer ball and rolled it around until it was covered and packed with snow. He was so proud….he had made half a snowman.
The most bizarre thing that happened was the Toyota Land Rover who had a mind of its own. About 2:30 in the afternoon, (the day of the snow) Barbara was coming back from the horse barns and saw that the Land Rover had crashed into the guesthouse. She ran and saw there was no one in it. She called the girls and they came down to see what had happened. I guess it had been parked on ice and when it partially melted, a way it went. It went down the hill, crossed the road and into the guesthouse. There was no structural damage, just to the under pinning.
Until next time…. 
In an effort to save money, we won’t be sending out thank you cards after each donation I just wanted you to know that we did indeed get your donation and wanted to thank you. With postage as much as it is, we will be more prudent to spend it on the animals. Please know how much I appreciate everything you do for the animals that goes without saying. Let’s make the year 2011 the year to remember.

“Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods.

Cats have never forgotten this.” Anonymous

For the love of the animals,

C. Kay McElroy  

Executive Director